Foods to Avoid: Dog Edition

Welcome back to the Acoma Animal Clinic blog! While we hope you haven’t hit this page in the middle of a crisis, trying to find out if your dog ate something dangerous, but if so let’s cut straight to the chase.


Of course, everyone knows chocolate is no good for their pooch. Just like cats, the problem particle is theobromine, present in all types of chocolate. Dark chocolate and unsweetened baking chocolate are the worst offenders. Complications from chocolate ingestion can include vomiting, diarrhea, tremors, heart problems, seizures and death.


Xylitol is an artificial sweetener found in candies, gums, toothpaste baked goods, and certain ‘diet’ foods. The xylitol in these foods can cause your dog’s blood sugar to drop or even liver failure. Early symptoms to keep an eye for are lethargy, vomiting, and coordination issues.


Avocados are home to a compound called persin. While it is fine for humans to eat (so long as they’re not allergic) but too much can be poisonous to dogs and give them upset stomachs. The pit is the biggest worry as it can cause an obstruction.


Alcohol affects your dog’s liver and brain the same way it would yours. But a lot less is needed to harm your pet. The little ingested could cause vomiting, diarrhea, breathing problems, or even a coma and death. The smaller your dog the worse it can be for them.

Macadamia Nuts

Macadamia nuts are particularly problematic for dogs. It takes very little (roughly six raw or roasted nuts) to make a dog sick. Complications include: muscle shakes, vomiting, high temperature, and weakness in their back legs.


The idea of a dog slobbering on a bone is a classic one, however the complications that can arise aren’t worth the risk. Dogs can choke on the bone, the bones can cause obstructions or as it is splintered and broken in their mouths injure their teeth, gums, or other internal injuries along their digestive tract. Cooked bones especially will splinter easy.

These are just a few of the foods that are dangerous for your pooch to eat. Its best to stick to food and treats made specifically for your best friend and not give them anything questionable. If you think your dog has ingested any of these, try to determine the amount eaten and contact your vet for proper care.


Recent Posts